One of our main goals is boating safety through education – we believe that an educated boater is a safer boater.
In addition to America’s Boating Course, we teach a series of outstanding courses that cover advanced seamanship, navigational techniques, boat handling, maintenance, and enhancement topics. We also teach shorter seminars throughout the year on various topics.
- America's Boating Course - 3rd Edition (ABC3) – This introductory course teaches the fundamentals of safe boat handling and operation over three 4 hour sessions, plus an optional fourth session covering charting. These sessions may be taught in a single day or over a series of weeks.
- Advanced Grade Courses – These 5 courses are designed to be taken in sequence, because each builds on skills taught in the previous courses, ranging from safe boat handling through ocean-going celestial navigation: Seamanship, Piloting, Advanced Piloting, Junior Navigation, and Navigation.
- Elective Courses – These 8 courses cover separate and independent topics and therefore may be taken in any order according to a person's interests and time. The topics covered are Sail, Weather, Engine Maintenance, Marine Electrical Systems, Marine Communications, Electronic Navigation, Cruise Planning, and Instructor Development.
- Seminars – Short (2-4 hour) classes that cover diverse topics such as Trailering, VHF Radio, Radar, and Paddle Craft. Seminars are scheduled periodically based on interest and availability, so check back often for updates.
Our regular courses are scheduled from September through April. Seminars occur throughout the year.
If any of these topics interest you, click on the buttons at the top of the page for more information. We hope to see you soon!
- The grade of Senior Navigator (SN) is given to those who have completed all of the Advanced Grade courses and at least 6 Elective courses.
- Boat Operator's Certification (BOC) is given to those who have completed a combination of on-the-water demonstrated abilities in addition to applicable Seminars and other skills, such as extinguishing fires and CPR. The BOC levels are Inland Navigation, Coastal Navigation and Advanced Coastal Navigation. See www.usps.org/eddept/boc for more details.